AN ISIS recruiting cell that was targeting children has been busted in Spain.
The Spanish Ministry of Internal Affairs said: “The group focused on capturing, indoctrinating and sending young people and children to conflict zones in Syria and Iraq to turn them into future fighters.”
Officials said the suspects, three men and a woman, had set up a ‘fully operational and permanent recruiting network in Ceuta, focusing on young candidates, including children’.
The ministry’s statement added: “This terrorist cell had established a constant, fluid and permanent channel of communication with Daesh [Arabic pejorative term for IS], fighters in Syria.”
Authorities in Spain have arrested 161 jihadists since 2015.
Some 45% of the jihadists arrested since 2013 had Spanish nationality.
- HAMMING IT UP: Andalucia’s award-winning jamon stars at Oscars after-party - 23 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- Woody Allen to film new project across Spain after securing financing from Spanish company despite sexual abuse allegations which saw him dumped by Amazon - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 11:28
- WATCH: Two elderly women caught on camera stealing outdoor furniture from British expat’s bar in Mallorca as police drive by - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:46
- FREAK FEBRUARY: ‘Anti-cyclone’ scorcher to see temperatures soar to 28C in Spain’s Andalucia this weekend - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:06
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33