THE Ukrainian president and his allies have come under fire for keeping their Costa del Sol pads secret from the authorities.
Petro Poroshenko, who has ruled the eastern European state since 2014, failed to declare his €4 million villa in Estepona when updating his searchable asset declarations.
The publicly available records are part of a new drive by the International Monetary Fund to improve transparency and root out corruption.
But an investigation by Ukrainian TV network RFE/RL has discovered his Spanish-registered company Feruvita S.L. bought the 1,254sqm villa when he was head of the Council of Ukraine’s National Bank in the summer of 2008, allowing him to keep it off official records.
Within a short drive of Poroshenko’s pad are villas belonging to Ihor Kononenko, fellow government official and one-time business partner to Poroshenko, and Oleh Hladkovskyy, deputy secretary of the Ukrainian National Security and Defence Council.
They both also used companies to effectively hide their assets.
While it is not illegal to control assets through companies so long as they are used for purposes related to the business, anti corruption campaigners argue that failing to disclose such properties ‘makes a mockery of the duty to report’ and raises questions about how they were obtained.
Daria Kalenyuk, executive director of the Kyiv-based NGO Anti-corruption Action Centre said: “If the villa is not used for the company’s commercial activity, it should have been declared.”
- One hospitalised as roaring chemical plant fire in San Roque is brought under control - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 20:27
- Gibraltar says ‘no cause for concern’ as toxic smoke from San Roque chemical fire unlikely to affect British territory - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:55
- Firefighters near San Roque chemical fire warn of toxic smoke as Gibraltar government advises residents to CLOSE WINDOWS and doors - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:35
- WATCH: Homes evacuated as huge chemical fire ‘covers cars in ash’ and ‘turns sky dark’ near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:59
- IN VIDEOS: HUGE mushroom cloud of toxic black smoke as fire BLAZES at chemical plant near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:16
- BREAKING: Incident at San Roque oil refinery as flames and smoke billow from plant - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- PLEASE SHARE: British teen launches last-ditch appeal to find dad who vanished from Spain’s Costa Blanca almost 10 years ago - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:34
- Shots fired at mosque in Spain - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:37
- BLUFFING MUFFINS: WARNING as batches of ‘fake gluten and dairy free’ magdalenas across Spain at risk of causing widespread allergic reactions - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:27
- IN PICS: Saudi tycoon’s HUGE €200 million yacht arrives on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 13:59