A BORDER officer has lost an eye after 1,000 migrants stormed the Spanish border at Ceuta on Sunday.
A 1,100-strong group from sub-Saharan Africa who were attempting to reach Europe stormed the border fence just after 4am in an operation described as ‘extremely violent and organised’.
None managed to make it over the fence but to who were seriously injured were taken to a hospital in Ceuta.
The central government’s representative office said the migrants tried “to force open some of the doors in the external fence, using iron bars, wire cutters and large stones with which they assaulted Moroccan forces and Guardia Civil agents.”
Five Spanish policemen and 50 members of the Moroccan forces were injured, including one who lost an eye.
“From now on those making such attempts will be presented before the competent judicial authorities who will decree their expulsion from the kingdom [of Morocco] or heavier penalties, according the gravity of the act,” Morocco’s interior ministry said in a statement.
- Gibraltar says ‘no cause for concern’ as toxic smoke from San Roque chemical fire unlikely to affect British territory - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:55
- Firefighters near San Roque chemical fire warn of toxic smoke as Gibraltar government advises residents to CLOSE WINDOWS and doors - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:35
- WATCH: Homes evacuated as huge chemical fire ‘covers cars in ash’ and ‘turns sky dark’ near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:59
- IN VIDEOS: HUGE mushroom cloud of toxic black smoke as fire BLAZES at chemical plant near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:16
- BREAKING: Incident at San Roque oil refinery as flames and smoke billow from plant - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- PLEASE SHARE: British teen launches last-ditch appeal to find dad who vanished from Spain’s Costa Blanca almost 10 years ago - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:34
- Shots fired at mosque in Spain - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:37
- BLUFFING MUFFINS: WARNING as batches of ‘fake gluten and dairy free’ magdalenas across Spain at risk of causing widespread allergic reactions - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:27
- IN PICS: Saudi tycoon’s HUGE €200 million yacht arrives on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 13:59
- Life in the laid-back East of the Costa del Sol has never seemed more appealing - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 10:10