An investigation by the Daily Telegraph has revealed how Brits are funding their lives in Spain by taking fortnightly placements taking sole care of the vulnerable.
The carers, the Telegraph said, were also offered free travel and accommodation, are only required to undergo a few days training before they can earn £1,700 in two weeks.
British job agencies are said to search resorts like Benidorm and Malaga for new recruits.
Experts have the said the probe proves there is a “massive crisis” in care of the elderly with a high turnover in the sector.
They also said that they feared many pensioners were receiving the most intimate care from virtual strangers.
The agents boasted of a “huge increase” in the number of expats coming from Spain, of whom many reportedly admitted they did not want to do the job but were attracted by the money.
Age UK director Caroline Abrahams was incensed by the revelations, saying it is “yet another symptom of a crisis in social care.”
Many of the recruits were found to not have any professional qualifications or previous experience of care.
It is believed Brits have been driven to the work by a crippling downturn in the Spanish economy, or to supplement business interests such as bars and restaurants.
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49