AN off-duty policeman thwarted a shooting after happening to walk by as a gunman opened fire in a Spanish supermarket yesterday.
Despite reports from Spanish and UK press, he is not believed to have shouted ‘Alahu Akbar’, the Arabic phrase for God is Great.
Several shoppers were inside when he fired the six shots into the air from his shotgun, alerting emergency services to the attack.
“I saw a person with an open backpack and a shotgun in his hand,” Perez said.
The gunman fired at Perez but stopped when he saw that he had a gun.
Perez was able to keep him at bay until back up arrived.
Customers hid for half an hour in terror and feared others were dead after hearing so many shots.
One witness said people were ‘very afraid’ and were in tears, not knowing if ‘there were people alive or dead’.
The gunman, who is believed to have psychological problems, is said to have eaten a banana after firing at off-duty cop Perez before dropping to the ground.
Pictures from inside the supermarket show a double-barrelled shotgun, believed to be the weapon used in the attack.
Other photos show the aftermath, with broken glass and debris covering the shop floor.
The attacker was able to be detained after he ran out of ammunition.
Police have confirmed that the shooter does not have known links to terrorism.
“He had no terrorist link at all”, said a police spokeswoman:
“It was not a robbery either. At one point in the video footage, he can be seen eating a banana and smoking a cigarette”.
The police have not made the video footage public or provided journalists with a copy.
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52