A BUDDING expat tennis player aged just 17 has been given a wildcard into the Australian Open.
Alex De Minaur, who was born in Australia but grew up in Alicante, was granted entry into the grand slam after stunning world No. 46 Benoit Paire in Sydney in January.
Just weeks before at the Brisbane International, the up-and-coming star dazzled fans through qualifying and managed to defeat the 2015 Sydney runner-up Mikhail Kukushkin.
It comes after a stellar 2016 on the junior tour which saw him become runner up at the junior Wimbledon before being named male junior athlete of the year at the prestigious Newcombe Medal Awards.
He is already impressing the Aussie tennis greats, and was invited to train with the Davis Cup squad in September.
De Minaur moved to Alicante when he was five, and took his first steps as a tennis player at the Club Atletico Montemar.
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19