UNEMPLOYMENT in Spain was reduced by almost half a million in 2016, new figures have shown – but a majority of the jobs are ‘precarious’.
Some 86,849 people found work across the country in December. Combined with the rest of year, it means the jobless rate has fallen by 390,534.
It represents a 9.54% drop from 2015 and the fourth consecutive year of rising employment.
But Spain’s most influential union, the UGT, complained that many of those moving out of the jobless queue had only been able to find employment with ‘precarious working conditions’.
“In December, just four out of every 100 contracts signed were long-term and full-time,” it said in a statement, “Economic and social inequalities continue to increase.”
Mariano Rajoy’s conservative government has come under fire for the unstable and temporary nature of the new jobs, despite the jobless rate falling consistently from the 26% seen during the crisis in 2013.
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26
- BREAKING: Barack Obama will be in Marbella TOMORROW for secret meeting at luxury hotel - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:50
- IN PICS: Game of Thrones stars party it up in Spain’s Benidorm for Sophie Turner’s hen do ahead of ‘official’ marriage to Joe Jonas - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:20
- Gibraltar police fuming after rumours ‘falsely claim’ drunk off duty officer started late night brawl at Pig & Whistle pub - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:45
- How a gang sold more than €1.5 million of drugs EVERY WEEK with the help of a Breaking Bad-style family in Cadiz – and how they spent it on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:13