UNEMPLOYMENT in Spain was reduced by almost half a million in 2016, new figures have shown – but a majority of the jobs are ‘precarious’.
Some 86,849 people found work across the country in December. Combined with the rest of year, it means the jobless rate has fallen by 390,534.
It represents a 9.54% drop from 2015 and the fourth consecutive year of rising employment.
But Spain’s most influential union, the UGT, complained that many of those moving out of the jobless queue had only been able to find employment with ‘precarious working conditions’.
“In December, just four out of every 100 contracts signed were long-term and full-time,” it said in a statement, “Economic and social inequalities continue to increase.”
Mariano Rajoy’s conservative government has come under fire for the unstable and temporary nature of the new jobs, despite the jobless rate falling consistently from the 26% seen during the crisis in 2013.
- IN PICS: ‘One million’ march against Brexit in London - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31