THE body of a young boy has washed up on a southern Spanish beach.
He is believed to have been a six-to seven-year-old migrant attempting to reach Europe.
Authorities say the lifeless body was found on Friday in Barbate, in the Cadiz province.
A government spokesperson said: “The hypothesis is that he was a migrant,” before adding that other bodies had washed up further east on the shore just a couple of weeks before.
They are now investigating if there are any links.
It follows the shocking moment Aylan Kurdi’s dead body was photographed on a Turkish beach in September 2015.
The picture of the three year old, who had been fleeing the war in Syria, sent shock waves around the world.
Some 13,426 migrants arrived in Spain last year, with more than 8,000 coming by sea.
Italy and Greece received 181,000 and 177,000 respectively.
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19