SPAIN has applauded Theresa May’s tough approach on Scottish independence.
It comes after she told SNP’s Nicola Sturgeon that ‘now is not the time’ for a referendum on the issue.
Enric Millo, the central government’s representative in the Catalan capital Barcelona, said in an interview: “Both governments understand that a referendum isn’t the best way of solving this kind of political dispute.”
“We have been clear about that for a long time. And now the UK is clear about it too.”
Spain is a key potential ally to May’s government as it tries to negotiate Brexit terms with its European neighbours.
Its Iberian neighbour benefits from 18 million British tourists a year while Spain invests €122 billion a year into the UK economy.
Edinburgh are also keen to get Spain on board given that it would have veto power on any future independent Scotland applying for EU membership.
“A referendum that produces a winner and a loser doesn’t resolve the conflict,” said Millo, who hosted the British ambassador to Spain, Simon Manley, earlier this week.
“You make progress on the issue when there is dialogue and a willingness to reach an agreement.”
- Expats rally around British pensioner made homeless on Spain’s Costa del Sol as alleged ‘squatter tenants’ speak out - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 20:32
- British expats and locals FUMING as celebrity chef Dani Garcia’s chiringuito gets go ahead on protected land in southern Spain - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 12:16
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09