SPAIN has applauded Theresa May’s tough approach on Scottish independence.
It comes after she told SNP’s Nicola Sturgeon that ‘now is not the time’ for a referendum on the issue.
Enric Millo, the central government’s representative in the Catalan capital Barcelona, said in an interview: “Both governments understand that a referendum isn’t the best way of solving this kind of political dispute.”
“We have been clear about that for a long time. And now the UK is clear about it too.”
Spain is a key potential ally to May’s government as it tries to negotiate Brexit terms with its European neighbours.
Its Iberian neighbour benefits from 18 million British tourists a year while Spain invests €122 billion a year into the UK economy.
Edinburgh are also keen to get Spain on board given that it would have veto power on any future independent Scotland applying for EU membership.
“A referendum that produces a winner and a loser doesn’t resolve the conflict,” said Millo, who hosted the British ambassador to Spain, Simon Manley, earlier this week.
“You make progress on the issue when there is dialogue and a willingness to reach an agreement.”
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25
- British expat arrested for starting forest fire on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 May, 2019 @ 21:15
- Top British rugby player fighting for his life after falling from major Spain airport car park - 20 May, 2019 @ 16:54
- British expat benefits cheat who stole more than €90,000 from UK coffers while living on Spain’s Costa del Sol given 900 YEARS to pay back debt - 20 May, 2019 @ 10:56
- 7 times town halls in Spain had us screaming ‘what were they thinking?’ - 19 May, 2019 @ 16:21
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40