ONE of Christopher Columbus’ anchors has been unearthed alongside centuries old Mallorcan pottery in the Caribbean.
The anchor has an estimated weight of between 1,200 and 1,500 pounds, indicating it was a ‘bower’ anchor from a 300-ton vessel, the typical size of a Columbus-era ship.
Broken pottery, an olive jar and pot from Mallorca were also found, which date the wreck to the period between 1492 and the early 1500s.
The discoveries will be revealed in the next episode of the Discovery Channel docuseries Cooper’s Treasure.
“That anchor is from Christopher Columbus,” said historical shipwreck discovery specialist Darrell Miklos, who led the Caribbean expedition, “this is just the beginning of an amazing story.”
Miklos used a space treasure map created by his late friend, NASA Astronaut Gordon Cooper, to find a series of Caribbean shipwreck sites.
The new discovery, off the Turks and Caicos islands, is believed to be linked to Vicente Yanez Pinzon – a Sevillan sailor who was part of the Columbus expeditions.
Vicente was captain of the Nina on Columbus’ first voyage in 1492.
In 1499 and 1500 Vicente Pinzon discovered Brazil and the Amazon River.
In July of 1500, Vicente Pinzon’s fleet was caught in a hurricane while anchored near the Turks and Caicos islands and two of his ships were wrecked.
It is believed the find could be one of these ships.
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52