LAST month we announced that all eight of our Spanish stores now have Digital Retinal Cameras, one of the latest pieces of technology being used by forward-thinking opticians.
However, we realised that not many people knew about the technology and what it can do, so here we’ll be answering your questions.
Why is digital retinal photography important?
It is becoming an increasingly valued part of eye examinations. More than just testing your sight, optometrists can make a comprehensive health assessment by using retinal photography alongside conventional procedures. It is also a fantastic tool for safeguarding sight.
What does it do?
This sophisticated process uses a camera to take a picture of the back of the eye – the only part of the human body where the microcirculation of blood can be observed directly. The state-of-the-art technology helps to identify changes that might be associated with certain eye conditions such as diabetes, hypertensive retinopathy, macular degeneration, optic nerve disease and retinal holes or thinning. The ability to save images creates a lasting record for ongoing monitoring. If necessary, the optician can refer patients directly for further medical examination to their hospital or general practitioner.
Can it really identify health problems too?
In addition to helping opticians identify sight-related problems, digital retinal photography can also highlight the signs of a range of other conditions including diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, stroke risk and symptoms associated with brain tumours. This allows patients to seek medical help before symptoms become noticeable in many cases.
Specsavers Opticas is located in Marbella and Fuengirola on the Costa del Sol. To find your nearest store and book an eye test with visual health check visit www.specsavers.es.
- Eyewear by luxury fashion house Kenzo at Specsavers Opticas on Costa del Sol for limited time only - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 12:00
- Take heed of this eye care advice for World Sight Day - 11 Oct, 2018 @ 15:14
- There’s lots to consider when making the switch to contact lenses - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 10:20
- Kylie Minogue launches new range of eyewear with Specsavers - 25 May, 2018 @ 12:12
- Ask the Optician: For the full spec on eyewear from Marbella specialists - 6 Jan, 2018 @ 15:05
- CHRISTMAS WISH: Support the ONCE fundraising campaign at Specsavers Opticas - 9 Dec, 2017 @ 15:12
- All your questions about contact lenses answered - 21 Aug, 2017 @ 09:34
- Ask the Optician – What is Digital Retinal Photography? - 7 May, 2017 @ 16:00
- The leading cause of severe sight loss for over 55s in the western world - 31 Mar, 2017 @ 21:15
- Specsavers: There is a perfect pair of specs for everyone - 5 Mar, 2017 @ 17:36