A RANSOMWARE virus is said to be rapidly spreading across the globe, affecting at least 57,000 computers.
Spain’s telecommunications giant Telefonica and the UK’s National Health Service are among those affected.
The virus infects computer files and blocks them until moneys are paid.
More than 74 countries are reported to be affected, with that number expected to grow.
The UK and Spain are among the first nations to officially recognise the attack.
Brit PM Theresa May has said the attack on UK hospitals is part of a wider international attack.
The virus blocks files from being accessed before dropping a ransom note to users, demanding that $300 be paid in bitcoins to unlock them, within a certain time frame.
As more time passes, the price demanded increases.
If the money is not paid, the virus promises to delete the files.
The NHS is said to be in chaos as IT systems have broken down while emergency patients are being diverted to other areas.
Scheduled appointments had to be cancelled, ambulances were diverted while some departments shut down completely.
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25
- British expat arrested for starting forest fire on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 May, 2019 @ 21:15