THE British mother of a cancer-stricken 11-year-old has praised expats and locals for a spate in blood donations.
Sarah Gorman’s daughter Serena Chappell, born in Marbella, fell ill a few weeks ago and was diagnosed with Leukemia at Son Espases hospital.
But it soon emerged there was a desperately low supply of her blood type and few British people are eligible to donate due to a ruling over Mad Cow disease.
Her father John Chappell, 34, appealed to big-hearted Olive Press readers to come to the rescue.
“The reaction has been amazing,” mum Sarah told the Olive Press, “the blood bank has gone from five days stock to full stock.
“Thank you all so much, keep giving as there is always someone who needs this, it isn’t just for my baby but for everyone out there.”
While the stock is now full the family are asking people to let themselves be known to the hospital so that they can be contacted when more blood is needed.
Serena is recovering from her first round of chemotherapy.
“She’s very up and down,” Sarah said, “She gets fed up easily and wants to see her friends, but no visits are allowed yet.”
Serena will face another bout of chemo in the coming weeks.
Anyone with O Negative blood who wishes to be available to donate, contact Son Espases hospital on 871205000 or go to the Blood Bank / Donation centre at Carrer de Rosselló i Caçador, 20, 07004 Palma (971764433).
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31