THE British mother of a cancer-stricken 11-year-old has praised expats and locals for a spate in blood donations.
Sarah Gorman’s daughter Serena Chappell, born in Marbella, fell ill a few weeks ago and was diagnosed with Leukemia at Son Espases hospital.
But it soon emerged there was a desperately low supply of her blood type and few British people are eligible to donate due to a ruling over Mad Cow disease.
Her father John Chappell, 34, appealed to big-hearted Olive Press readers to come to the rescue.
“The reaction has been amazing,” mum Sarah told the Olive Press, “the blood bank has gone from five days stock to full stock.
“Thank you all so much, keep giving as there is always someone who needs this, it isn’t just for my baby but for everyone out there.”
While the stock is now full the family are asking people to let themselves be known to the hospital so that they can be contacted when more blood is needed.
Serena is recovering from her first round of chemotherapy.
“She’s very up and down,” Sarah said, “She gets fed up easily and wants to see her friends, but no visits are allowed yet.”
Serena will face another bout of chemo in the coming weeks.
Anyone with O Negative blood who wishes to be available to donate, contact Son Espases hospital on 871205000 or go to the Blood Bank / Donation centre at Carrer de Rosselló i Caçador, 20, 07004 Palma (971764433).
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33