THE British mother of a cancer-stricken 11-year-old has praised big-hearted expats and locals for jumping in to help her daughter.
Sarah Gorman was amazed by the deluge of blood donated to help her daughter Serena, who was diagnosed last month with Leukaemia.
She revealed that after we launched a campaign last issue there had been a steep rise in donations of rare O Negative blood.
“The blood bank has gone from five days stock to full stock,” said Sarah. “The reaction has been amazing.”
The result is a huge turnaround since Spain-born Serena – who lives with her family in Valldemossa – was emitted to Son Espases hospital in April.
We revealed, last issue, how the hospital had a desperately low supply of her blood type and few British people were eligible to donate due to a bizarre ruling over Mad Cow disease.
Her father John Chappell, 34, appealed to big-hearted Olive Press readers to come to the rescue.
And that is what they did!
Said Sarah this week: “Thank you all so much, but please keep giving as there is always someone who needs this blood, it isn’t just for my baby but for everyone out there.”
While the stock is now full the family are asking people to let themselves be known to the hospital so that they can be contacted when more blood is needed.
Meanwhile Serena is still in hospital and recovering from her first round of chemotherapy, which has led to the loss of her hair.
“She’s very up and down,” Sarah said, “She gets fed up easily and wants to see her friends, but no visits are allowed yet.”
Serena will face another bout of chemo in the coming weeks.
Anyone who wants to donate please contact Son Espases hospital on 871205000 or go to the Blood Bank / Donation centre at Carrer de Rosselló i Caçador, 20, 07004 Palma (971764433).
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49
- BREAKING: Police continue evacuation of British embassy after alleged bomb threat on Madrid skyscraper - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:14