THE Conservative party in the UK has reached an agreement with Northern Ireland’s Democratic Unionists which will see them support Theresa May’s government.
It comes after two weeks of talks in the wake of the shock hung parliament that left May without a working majority.
The DUP, whose far-right leanings have come under heavy criticism, will back the Tories in key votes in the House of Commons, but there will be no formal coalition.
In return for their support, the DUP has claimed the UK government has agreed to improve the treatment of military veterans in Northern Ireland, while playing down reports that it sought more than €2 billion in extra funding for their country.
May shook DUP leader Arlene Foster’s hands outside Downing Street today to make the pact official.
The so-called ‘confidence and supply’ arrangement will see the DUP’s 10 MPs support May’s key votes, including the Queen’s Speech next week.
Their support will not be guaranteed on other issues.
Both parties have said the pact will give the UK much-needed stability during the Brexit process.
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22
- TASTING MANILVA: Discovering another side to this expat hotspot through cottage industry wine - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 11:51
- HOUSE OF HORRORS: Expat squatter couple caged and interrogated after dead baby and child, 3, found buried near luxury urbanisations in Spain - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 14:23