ALMERIA and Mijas are the ‘least transparent’ town halls in Spain, a new study has found.
Transparency International Spain used 80 indicators to analyse the openness of 110 municipalities across the country.
While 25 scored on or very near to 100, there were noticeable failures in Telde which scored 45.6, Mijas, who received a pitiful 45.0 and Almería on 40.6.
They were followed by Jaén with 58.1, Toledo with 58.1 and Torrevieja with 56.9.
While Almería and Telde have maintained their low level in the annual ranking, Mijas has plummeted.
In 2014 the municipality, based in Malaga, had 92.5 points, ranking at the same level as the City of Madrid.
But just three years later it has fallen by 47.5 points.
It comes after Ciudadanos came to power in the town hall in 2015.
The study looked at 80 indicators related to six main focal points; Active transparency and information on the municipal corporation, relations with citizens and society, and citizen participation, economic and financial transparency, transparency in contracting, agreements, subsidies and costs of services, transparency in matters of urban planning, public works and environment and Right of access to information.
- Brazilian soldier from convoy of President Bolsonaro arrested for smuggling cocaine into Spain’s Sevilla after controversial leader vowed to crack down on drugs - 26 Jun, 2019 @ 12:41
- One hospitalised as roaring chemical plant fire in San Roque is brought under control - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 20:27
- Gibraltar says ‘no cause for concern’ as toxic smoke from San Roque chemical fire unlikely to affect British territory - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:55
- Firefighters near San Roque chemical fire warn of toxic smoke as Gibraltar government advises residents to CLOSE WINDOWS and doors - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:35
- WATCH: Homes evacuated as huge chemical fire ‘covers cars in ash’ and ‘turns sky dark’ near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:59
- IN VIDEOS: HUGE mushroom cloud of toxic black smoke as fire BLAZES at chemical plant near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:16
- BREAKING: Incident at San Roque oil refinery as flames and smoke billow from plant - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- PLEASE SHARE: British teen launches last-ditch appeal to find dad who vanished from Spain’s Costa Blanca almost 10 years ago - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:34
- Shots fired at mosque in Spain - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:37
- BLUFFING MUFFINS: WARNING as batches of ‘fake gluten and dairy free’ magdalenas across Spain at risk of causing widespread allergic reactions - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:27