THE owner of Marbella Football Club has been arrested in an anti-mafia raid.
Alexander Grinberg, was cuffed alongside six others in a high-level dawn raid of the football club this morning.
The multi-millionaire businessman is being probed for alleged money laundering and being a member of a criminal organisation.
Authorities believe he has ties to Russian mafia.
The head of Mijas Water (Agua de Mijas), was also arrested in the raid, confirmed sources.
He is described as being one of Grinberg’s top associates.
Local sources also confirmed one of those arrested is Arnold Taam, who was picked up at the house of Grinberg – which was also raided – in the Bahia de Marbella urbanisation.
One local told the Olive Press: “This was a raid coordinated between the Mijas and Marbella Guardia Civil.
“There were helicopters and dozens of police vehicles involved and the streets were shut off, it was quite something.”
The Olive Press met Grinberg at the football club last year to discuss his plans for the team.
Police say a ‘large amount of material’ has been seized for what is now an ongoing investigation.
Dozens are expected to be arrested in the operation.
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49
- BREAKING: Police continue evacuation of British embassy after alleged bomb threat on Madrid skyscraper - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:14