EXPERTS have blasted Spain for failing to comply with EU air pollution levels.
It comes as Nitrogen dioxide (NO2) – which can cause serious respiratory problems – was found in excess levels in urban areas across the country.
Madrid and Barcelona, in particularly, have settled into a state of ‘chronic non-compliance,’ claims green group Ecologistas en Accion.
“They have failed to comply year after year with regulations since enforcement began in 2010,” said a spokesman.
He did however praise Madrid for its car bans and its plans to introduce further restrictions, saying ‘it is adopting measures for permanent reductions’ of pollution.
But ‘Barcelona does not have those ambitious goals,’ he said.
The European Commission sent a ‘final warning’ to Spain for ‘constant non-compliance’ in February, with Brussels stating the pollution ‘poses a serious health risk.’
The country is now likely to be heavily fined.
According to the Ministry of Environment, Valencia, Granada and San Sebastián de la Gomera in the Canary Islands are also bad offender, ‘mainly due to traffic.’
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19