EXPERTS have blasted Spain for failing to comply with EU air pollution levels.
It comes as Nitrogen dioxide (NO2) – which can cause serious respiratory problems – was found in excess levels in urban areas across the country.
Madrid and Barcelona, in particularly, have settled into a state of ‘chronic non-compliance,’ claims green group Ecologistas en Accion.
“They have failed to comply year after year with regulations since enforcement began in 2010,” said a spokesman.
He did however praise Madrid for its car bans and its plans to introduce further restrictions, saying ‘it is adopting measures for permanent reductions’ of pollution.
But ‘Barcelona does not have those ambitious goals,’ he said.
The European Commission sent a ‘final warning’ to Spain for ‘constant non-compliance’ in February, with Brussels stating the pollution ‘poses a serious health risk.’
The country is now likely to be heavily fined.
According to the Ministry of Environment, Valencia, Granada and San Sebastián de la Gomera in the Canary Islands are also bad offender, ‘mainly due to traffic.’
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33