The skyscraper was given a positive report on its environmental impact by the Junta’s green ministry.
The report clears the way for the council to change the classification of the land in the city’s port to make it legal to build the imposing structure on.
It said the land, which is next to the cruise terminal and some 500 metres from the shore, ‘is part of the urban landscape and the visual impact of the area is already affected by business, industrial and transport activity.”
It added that the hotel ‘won’t mean any alteration to anything of natural value.”
The report also rejected opposition from green group Ecologistas en Accion.
Construction is now set to begin in 2020 if the plans get approval from the Spanish cabinet.
Special approval is required as ports are seen as a ‘national competence’.
Business leaders say the Junta’s report is a ‘positive move’ and will only lead to future investment in the city.
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25