APPLICATIONS for licences for new builds in Spain soared by 24.4% in the first seven months of this year.
According to figures from the Development Ministry, some 49,238 applications were made.
The majority – 37,039 – were for apartment blocks, up by 26% compared to 2016, making up 75.2% of the total applications.
Building applications for detached homes stood at 12,174, an increase of 19.5%.
On its current trajectory, 84,500 applications could filed by the end of 2017. This would be the highest for seven years, since 2010 when 91,600 were made.
Meanwhile, applications for refurbishments and extensions increased by 5.8% between January and July to a total of 17,855. Licences for extensions saw the biggest increase – up by 18.8% to 1,373.
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22
- TASTING MANILVA: Discovering another side to this expat hotspot through cottage industry wine - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 11:51
- HOUSE OF HORRORS: Expat squatter couple caged and interrogated after dead baby and child, 3, found buried near luxury urbanisations in Spain - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 14:23
- Warnings as woman almost DIES in Spain after suffering huge allergic reaction to partner’s sperm in WORLD FIRST - 14 Mar, 2019 @ 17:36