Katharina Katit-Staeheli snatched tot Dylan away from a children’s hospital in Switzerland where he was awaiting surgery for hydrocephalus – a build up of fluid on the brain.
She hid for nearly a month with her son in Spain after fleeing Zurich but was spotted in January 2014 in a Costa Blanca shopping centre by the Guardia Civil.
Dylan was taken back to hospital but while Katit-Staeheli was being held in custody, she asked if she could bathe her son.
She undressed the tot and slit his throat and then tried to stab herself in the neck but failed.
The mother has now been put behind bars for 11 years after admitting murdering her son because she feared doctors would take Dylan away to ‘experiment with him’.
The mum was found to suffer from a personality disorder and saw ‘no other way out’.
She admitted that she was highly sceptical about conventional medicine and doctors and said she favoured homeopathy and traditional Indian and Chinese medicine.
When doctors told her Dylan needed an MRI scan, Katit-Staeheli said she panicked and decided to kidnap her son.
Spanish prosecutors demanded she be jailed for 17 years but judge Elche settled on a sentence of 11 years.
- IN PICS: The women competing for your vote to be crowned Miss World Malaga on the same day as Spain’s general election - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 09:00
- The Online Gambling Industry in Gibraltar - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 14:10
- Heat and sun returns to Spain’s Costa del Sol from Friday with highs of 24C forecast for next week - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:54
- NOT MOO-VING: Moment stubborn cow causes traffic jam on busy A-7 in southern Spain - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:31
- Almost 40% of Spaniards fear Brexit will have a ‘very negative’ impact on Spain’s economy - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:03
- A Guide To Choosing The Right Casino For You - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 09:05
- Paedo pensioner, 88, spared jail after sexually abusing neighbour’s 8-year-old daughter in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 14:37
- IN PICTURES: Easter processions kick off in fine weather in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 10:06
- IN PICS: British family and Madrid studio restore gorgeous period house in Spain into B&B - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 17:54
- SHELL SHOCKED: Unexploded BOMB found on property in Spain’s Malaga - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 12:05