RUSSIAN hackers have been accused of interfering in the Catalunya independence referendum as part of a plan to undermine the EU.
It comes after Madrid has complained to Brussels about alleged meddling by hackers from Russia and Venezuela.
Spanish officials claim the hackers have been spreading misinformation and ‘fake news’ across social media in a bid to further destabilise Spain and the EU.
Spokesman Inigo Mendez de Vigo said he would raise the issue at an EU Foreign Affairs Council meeting today.
He said: “This is a serious issue, where democracy must confront the challenges of new technology.
“We believe that Europe has to take this issue very seriously.
“It cannot be that foreign forces, outsiders, whom we don’t know who they are, want to change the constitutional order.”
Defence minister for Spain Maria Dolores de Cospedal added: “Many messages and operations that were seen via social networks come from Russian territory.
“And I use the correct expression: from Russian territory. That’s not to say necessarily that we have determined that it is the Russian government.
“As such we must act with extreme caution. We have to be clear on the origins.
“They are partly from Russian territory, partly from elsewhere, also outside the EU. We are determining this currently.”
A rift between secessionists and unionists have widened in Catalunya since Madrid imposed direct rule over the region last month.
Prime minister Mariano Rajoy has urged residents to vote in the snap regional elections on December 21 to ‘restore normality’.
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49
- BREAKING: Police continue evacuation of British embassy after alleged bomb threat on Madrid skyscraper - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:14