RUSSIAN hackers have been accused of interfering in the Catalunya independence referendum as part of a plan to undermine the EU.
It comes after Madrid has complained to Brussels about alleged meddling by hackers from Russia and Venezuela.
Spanish officials claim the hackers have been spreading misinformation and ‘fake news’ across social media in a bid to further destabilise Spain and the EU.
Spokesman Inigo Mendez de Vigo said he would raise the issue at an EU Foreign Affairs Council meeting today.
He said: “This is a serious issue, where democracy must confront the challenges of new technology.
“We believe that Europe has to take this issue very seriously.
“It cannot be that foreign forces, outsiders, whom we don’t know who they are, want to change the constitutional order.”
Defence minister for Spain Maria Dolores de Cospedal added: “Many messages and operations that were seen via social networks come from Russian territory.
“And I use the correct expression: from Russian territory. That’s not to say necessarily that we have determined that it is the Russian government.
“As such we must act with extreme caution. We have to be clear on the origins.
“They are partly from Russian territory, partly from elsewhere, also outside the EU. We are determining this currently.”
A rift between secessionists and unionists have widened in Catalunya since Madrid imposed direct rule over the region last month.
Prime minister Mariano Rajoy has urged residents to vote in the snap regional elections on December 21 to ‘restore normality’.
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35