SPANIARDS have reportedly been left fuming after Boris Johnson defended bullfighting during an Anglo-Spanish dinner.
The UK’s foreign secretary told the dinner – designed to celebrate ties between Great Britain and Spain – that trying to ban bullfighting was ‘political correctness gone mad.’
MPs said some Spaniards were left furious by the remarks made at the event in Bath on Saturday.
One of the guests said Johnson kept ‘lecturing’ the Spanish and told them to keep ‘supporting the sport’, while another said he was a ‘clown’.
A source told UK press: “He antagonised every Spaniard there. They fumed for the rest of the dinner.
“Bullfighting is the subject of lively debate. Some parts of Spain have banned it.
“The Spanish don’t like people painting a caricature of their county as bullfighting, flamenco and paella.”
The UK’s Foreign Office said: “The Foreign Secretary was expressing a personal view that he respects this Spanish tradition.
“However, he does not personally support bullfighting and he is proud the UK upholds the highest animal welfare standards, including the ban on bullfighting in the UK.”
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33