Led by activist group Defend Our Horizon, the march was joined by political parties Podemos, Izquierda Unida and Malaga Ahora.
The group are demanding more consultation on the project, which they say will only benefit the wealthy few.
Defend Our Horizon spokesman Juan Antonio Trivino said: “That site – where the hotel is planned – is public and will be privatized for the benefit of a few.”
The movement has the support of 35 organisations and with ‘many people who are collecting signatures – already exceeding 6,000 – and a hundred volunteers who are on the street trying to convince people and even informing them because many do not know and we are finding lots of support,’ added Trivino.
Qatar-based Al Bidda Group was given permission to build Suites Malaga Port, the name given to the skyscraper hotel last year, on the jetty that outlines the eastern side of what is one of the oldest continuously operated ports in the Mediterranean.
While the initial proposal solely involved a skyscraper hotel, it is now believed a casino is also a part of the project.
Suites Malaga Port will reportedly have 352 rooms, parking for 485 vehicles, and feature a casino, spa, luxury shopping centre, conference centre, and swimming pools.
If the project goes according to plan, the new hotel will create an estimated 1,300 construction jobs, with 350 additional jobs when it opens in 2020.
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33