SPAIN has said it will have a backup aviation deal with the UK in case of widespread disruption to air travel post-Brexit.
Deputy Minister for European Affairs Jorge Toledo said if an EU-UK aviation deal does not come through, Spain will have its own to ensure British tourists keep coming.
“If there isn’t an agreement, then we will have a plan B ready,” said Toledo, 52.
“It would be necessary to work on a European solution but also on a national-based solution.”
Ryanair’s Michael O’Leary warned in August that airlines would be ‘screaming blue murder’ next year if a wide-ranging deal on aviation isn’t reached.
Spain fully supports the European Union’s chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier, but a collapse of the talks would threaten tourism and commercial links and the role played by Spanish firms including Banco Santander SA and Iberdrola SA in the UK economy.
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33