AT least 45,000 pro-Catalan independence protesters have taken to the streets of Brussels to support the controversial cause.
The march is a show of solidarity with exiled Catalan leader Carles Puigdemont, who is remaining in the Belgian capital through fear of being arrested on return to Spain.
It is also aimed at putting pressure on EU institutions to support the region’s cause.
Police figures suggest the protest was over twice as large as expected, with official predictions before the march forecasting 20,000 demonstrators.
Protestors carried Catalan flags, sang songs, and chanted ‘Wake up Europe’.
Others carried signs reading ‘Shame on you’ – a criticism of the EU’s support for Madrid.
Some locals who joined the march also carried the yellow lion-rampant flags of Flanders, the wealthy Dutch-speaking region of Belgium.
It also has a separatist movement and its secessionist parties are allies at the European level with Catalunya’s.
A European Arrest Warrant sought by the Spanish government was cancelled by a Spanish judge earlier this week after he ruled that Puigdemont was not applicable for one.
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26
- BREAKING: Barack Obama will be in Marbella TOMORROW for secret meeting at luxury hotel - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:50
- IN PICS: Game of Thrones stars party it up in Spain’s Benidorm for Sophie Turner’s hen do ahead of ‘official’ marriage to Joe Jonas - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:20
- Gibraltar police fuming after rumours ‘falsely claim’ drunk off duty officer started late night brawl at Pig & Whistle pub - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:45
- How a gang sold more than €1.5 million of drugs EVERY WEEK with the help of a Breaking Bad-style family in Cadiz – and how they spent it on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:13