AT least 45,000 pro-Catalan independence protesters have taken to the streets of Brussels to support the controversial cause.
The march is a show of solidarity with exiled Catalan leader Carles Puigdemont, who is remaining in the Belgian capital through fear of being arrested on return to Spain.
It is also aimed at putting pressure on EU institutions to support the region’s cause.
Police figures suggest the protest was over twice as large as expected, with official predictions before the march forecasting 20,000 demonstrators.
Protestors carried Catalan flags, sang songs, and chanted ‘Wake up Europe’.
Others carried signs reading ‘Shame on you’ – a criticism of the EU’s support for Madrid.
Some locals who joined the march also carried the yellow lion-rampant flags of Flanders, the wealthy Dutch-speaking region of Belgium.
It also has a separatist movement and its secessionist parties are allies at the European level with Catalunya’s.
A European Arrest Warrant sought by the Spanish government was cancelled by a Spanish judge earlier this week after he ruled that Puigdemont was not applicable for one.
- IN PICS: ‘One million’ march against Brexit in London - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31