THE Algerian government has announced its own investigation into the death of one of its citizens in Malaga’s Archidona prison.
It has asked for the body of Mohamed Bouderbala in order to carry out its own autopsy.
Spanish police claim Bouderbala hung himself in his cell, but his brother Ahmed Bouderbala said he ‘would never kill himself’ and claimed police brutality in the prison is rife and more likely to blame.
It comes after authorities were blasted for turning the newly-built prison into a detention centre for migrants and refugees.
The Algerian government said: “The Prosecutor’s Office has opened an investigation into the death of Mohamed Bouderbala in a detention center in southern Spain and we have asked the Spanish authorities for the body of the deceased so that we can perform an autopsy.”
Bouderbala is one of more than 500 Algerians who were imprisoned in the Archidona prison last November by decision of the Ministry of the Interior.
It is controversial because according to Spanish legislation, these centers can not be ‘of a prison in nature’.
His body was found on December 29 in his prison cell with signs of suicide.
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35