The battle was organised in the Fuensanta neighbourhood in Coin last night to settle a disagreement.
Family members arrived armed with knives and clubs and the brawl is said to have lasted for hours.
The two fatal victims had their lungs perforated before dying at a Malaga hospital.
Witnesses said they tried to burn down houses after setting alight cars in the streets.
Both family clans – believed to be known as ‘The French’ and ‘The mute’ are linked to drug trafficking.
Policia Local had to call in the Guardia Civil, which brought in 40 additional troops to help control the carnage.
A police spokesman described the situation as ‘very serious.’
According to municipal sources, the first warning was registered shortly after five in the afternoon.
There have yet to be any arrests while one suspect thought to be behind one of the deaths is believed to have fled.
Despite the arrival of Guardia Civil, at around 8pm there were new violent episodes when a group of relatives of one of the victims approached the Coín health center to try to take back the body, which caused another brawl to erupt at the health center.
Police had to close the center while patients were diverted to the Regional Hospital of the Guadalhorce Valley.
Two family members remain in a critical condition.
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06