A FATHER who read his daughter’s Whatsapp messages has been cleared by a Spanish court after his wife tried to sue him.
The mother argued that he had breached the young girl’s privacy when he read her conversations on the messaging app between her friends and her mother.
“Both my kids told me that their father took them to their bedrooms and went over my daughter’s conversations with them,” the mother told a court in Pontevedra, northern Spain.
“He asked my son for his phone’s password too but he refused.”
But despite the woman’s claims that her ex-husband’s actions represented a breach of Spain’s privacy laws, the judge ruled that there was a legal clash with Article 154 of the country’s civil code, relating to parental responsibilities.
Judge María del Rosario Cimadevila Cea said Whatsapp and other social media usage by minors ‘requires attention and vigilance on the part of the parents or carers’.
The court heard that the man had received permission from his daughter to read her Whatsapp chats together, proving that there was no intent to ‘discover secrets or infringe on the person’s privacy without permission’, a crime which according to Article 197 of Spain’s penal code can carry a four-year prison sentence.
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26
- BREAKING: Barack Obama will be in Marbella TOMORROW for secret meeting at luxury hotel - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:50
- IN PICS: Game of Thrones stars party it up in Spain’s Benidorm for Sophie Turner’s hen do ahead of ‘official’ marriage to Joe Jonas - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:20
- Gibraltar police fuming after rumours ‘falsely claim’ drunk off duty officer started late night brawl at Pig & Whistle pub - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:45
- How a gang sold more than €1.5 million of drugs EVERY WEEK with the help of a Breaking Bad-style family in Cadiz – and how they spent it on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:13
- Homes sealed off after explosion shatters windows more than 50 metres away on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:35