Residents of Molino Hondo, a settlement in Moron de la Frontera, Sevilla, divided a huge swathe of ‘non-developable’ land into 30 different plots.
They then installed running water and electricity, and even built swimming pools and new roads leading to the plots.
Once the majority of the works were complete, they attempted to negotiate with Moron town hall to get a stamp of legitimacy.
The town hall refused, declaring all of the plots as illegal, citing the lack of any licenses and that the land is strictly non-developable and under special protection.
An investigation by SEPRONA found that the settlement negatively impacted its surrounding area.
The legal proceedings have been referred to the Office of the Environment, Land Planning and Heritage Historical of the Audience of Sevilla.
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27