Speaking in Italy late last night, Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said 82 million people visited Spain last year, a 9% increase on 2016.
The staggering figures came despite the terrorist attacks in Barcelona and the Catalunya referendum crisis which saw a dip in bookings.
Tourism earnings rose 12%, totaling €87 billion.
In 2016, Spain welcomed 75.3 million visitors, just behind the United States with 75.6 million, while France – despite its own terror woes – easily remained the world leader with 82.6 million visitors, according to the UN World Tourism Organization (UNWTO).
International tourism to the United States shrank during the first five months of Donald Trump’s presidency, according to the US International Trade Administration.
Arrivals fell 5% in the first quarter and 3% in the second quarter, official figures show.
Rajoy praised the Spanish tourism sector’s ‘great effort’, as tourism arrivals beat records for the fifth consecutive year.
Arrivals recovered after dropping off by five percent year-on-year in October as massive demonstrations were staged following a failed independence bid.
France – still the most-visited country – said in December it estimated 2017 arrivals at upwards of 89 million.
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06