THE boom in tourism and holiday rentals is making housing inaccessible on the Costa del Sol and in Malaga, according to poverty charity Caritas.
In recent years, the number of flats being bought exclusively to rent out to tourists has skyrocketed, meaning there is less space for locals.
And because of the wealthy tourists who often visit Malaga and the coast, owners can afford to keep them empty until the high season.
This ensures maximum profits for landlords, who, in some areas, rose rent prices by 25% last year alone.
Between 2012 and 2016, supply of short-term holiday rentals skyrocketed by 1,633% in 22 cities that together represent 84.5% of all city tourism in the country.
Residents of Barcelona see tourism as the city’s main problem – even though 83% recognize that it provides benefits – as it leads to overcrowding while rental prices have soared, impacting vulnerable families trying to get out of poverty the most.
But Caritas also blames the phenomenon of ‘aporophobia’ for failing to help vulnerable families.
Labelled Spain’s ‘Word of the Year’ last year, the term means ‘fear of the poor’ and refers to a supposed growing trend in Spanish society of marginalising those living in poverty.
Director of Caritas in Malaga Gabriel Leal said many families are rejected by landlords ‘because of their history of poverty, even though they have guaranteed government support for three years’, meaning the rent would be guaranteed.
The charity is calling for more public resources to help deal with the growing homeless crisis.
There are currently 243 beds in Malaga city but this is not enough and more needs to be done, it added.
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29