The FR7063 flight from Alicante to Dublin was diverted to Santander yesterday morning.
Police were called to meet the aircraft after the pair, in their 50s, became ‘aggressive’ mid-flight.
The rowdy couple are now facing a hefty fine for breaching air security after Guardia Civil officers took them off the flight.
Witnesses have said the couple had had ‘a lot to drink’ and were arguing violently with each other but were not targeting other passengers.
The incident happened about a third of the way through the three-hour flight from the Costa Blanca capital on Wednesday.
The pilot made an unscheduled landing just before 4pm at Seve Ballesteros-Santander Airport.
The flight took off at around 5pm after the ‘disruptive’ passengers left the plane.
They were said to have left the aircraft of their own accord.
A spokesman for the Guardia Civil in Cantabria confirmed an Irish couple had been removed from the plane.
He said: “The pilot asked us to attend because he didn’t want two people who were on the plane and being aggressive to continue their journey.
“The couple left the aircraft voluntarily after we went on board and did not have to be removed by force.
“Their personal details were recorded and they were informed they were being reported for breaching air security.
“They won’t face any criminal charges but are likely to receive a fine from AESA, the state body that will now move things forward.
“I cannot comment on what happened in the plane because it wasn’t something the Civil Guard witnessed. The message from the plane was that they were being aggressive.”
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27