The FR7063 flight from Alicante to Dublin was diverted to Santander yesterday morning.
Police were called to meet the aircraft after the pair, in their 50s, became ‘aggressive’ mid-flight.
The rowdy couple are now facing a hefty fine for breaching air security after Guardia Civil officers took them off the flight.
Witnesses have said the couple had had ‘a lot to drink’ and were arguing violently with each other but were not targeting other passengers.
The incident happened about a third of the way through the three-hour flight from the Costa Blanca capital on Wednesday.
The pilot made an unscheduled landing just before 4pm at Seve Ballesteros-Santander Airport.
The flight took off at around 5pm after the ‘disruptive’ passengers left the plane.
They were said to have left the aircraft of their own accord.
A spokesman for the Guardia Civil in Cantabria confirmed an Irish couple had been removed from the plane.
He said: “The pilot asked us to attend because he didn’t want two people who were on the plane and being aggressive to continue their journey.
“The couple left the aircraft voluntarily after we went on board and did not have to be removed by force.
“Their personal details were recorded and they were informed they were being reported for breaching air security.
“They won’t face any criminal charges but are likely to receive a fine from AESA, the state body that will now move things forward.
“I cannot comment on what happened in the plane because it wasn’t something the Civil Guard witnessed. The message from the plane was that they were being aggressive.”
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37