THE Spanish tax authorities say popstar Shakira owes income tax between 2011 and 2014.
Spanish tax authorities say she was a resident during those years and have asked prosecutors to open a tax evasion case against the singer which could be in the tens of millions.
The 40-year-old declared in 2015 that Spain was her official residence but the tax authorities say she was earning money and not paying tax before then.
Sources close to the star say she has always complied with her tax obligations and that she was outside of Spain during that time.
Her auditors, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, had confirmed the tax investigation.
The mother-of-two, who married Barcelona footballer Gerard Pique, is the latest high-profile star accused of tax-dodging after Messi was found guilty in 2017.
- Doctor called in to help podgy population lose weight in a Spanish town - 25 Feb, 2018 @ 12:30
- Flu pandemic in Spain leads to rising death toll - 25 Feb, 2018 @ 10:30
- Spanish hospitals charging tourists double for care in Barcelona - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 13:37
- Spain gets its first beer spa in Andalucia - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 12:06
- Spain vows to send more police officers to combat ‘narcos state’ in Cadiz - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 10:50
- Spanish singer Marta Sanchez causes controversy with rendition of national anthem - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 15:06
- Spain’s SpaceX satellite launch in California delayed by four days - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 13:43
- Spain’s finance minister fails to impress MEPs for European Central Bank role - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 12:47
- UN set to inspect migrant situation in Spain - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 11:07
- Chasing corruption: Tracking Spain’s nine biggest corruption cases in 2018 - 17 Feb, 2018 @ 11:11