MARIANO Rajoy will run for prime minister again.
The current Spain leader made the announcement during a radio interview this week, but said there were a few conditions.
“My plan right now is to try to be a candidate again,” said the Partido Popular (PP) leader .
“My party has to want it too. Let’s see how things evolve, but I will certainly give it a try because we are headed in the right direction.”
His commitment to re-running has been described as an attempt to allay the embattled governing conservatives, who are fighting off three different corruption cases – Gurtel, Punica and Lezo.
A recent poll also showed Ciudadanos would win a general election if it was held tomorrow, while the Catalunya crisis is doing little to win over voters.
Some PP officials said Rajoy’s statement suggests he might not run for a third term if his two main goals fail to materialize: a full economic recovery and a solution to the Catalan crisis.
These sources said it is unlikely that the economy will take a wrong turn between now and 2020, the year of the next general election, meaning Catalunya will be the deciding factor in Rajoy’s bid for re-election.
“This is the first time that he has cast doubts on his own nomination as a candidate. But he will run in the end. There is nobody better than him,” said one PP official.
“He said that he feels strong enough, that he plans to run… and also that we’ll see how things go. Which means that he said yes and no at the same time,” noted a second party official.
“The point was to not show any weakness in his internal and external authority, and to relay a message of calm for this country’s institutional stability.”
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22
- TASTING MANILVA: Discovering another side to this expat hotspot through cottage industry wine - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 11:51
- HOUSE OF HORRORS: Expat squatter couple caged and interrogated after dead baby and child, 3, found buried near luxury urbanisations in Spain - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 14:23
- Warnings as woman almost DIES in Spain after suffering huge allergic reaction to partner’s sperm in WORLD FIRST - 14 Mar, 2019 @ 17:36