Well, gentle reader, I finally reached the landmark birthday.
My big Five Zero, which had been lurking darkly on the horizon and was as welcome as a tropical storm at a garden party – it came and went.
Believe it or not, I enjoyed myself immensely. Granted, I have refused to act my age for a very long time and seem to have dodged the middle-aged bullet that normally involves golf and talking about schools at dinner parties.
Perhaps a more conventional 50-year-old would have celebrated the event with a discreet gathering.
So naturally I did the opposite and threw a loud and lively bash with the theme of ‘Rock Gods, Biker Chicks, Soul Sisters and Divas’ at an old friend’s restaurant in Puerto Banus. As a disclaimer I just want to add that he’s known me for over 30 years, so knew damn well what he was letting himself in for!
One of my best friends, who I refer to as ‘Hobson’, flew out especially for the event and we made his beachfront Marbella house, ‘Base Camp’ for the weekend’s festivities. And we didn’t put a foot wrong – managing to cram in chiringuito lunches, dinners and even a quick caña in the Old Town over a 48-hour period.
The party itself was a riot, with some fabulous outfits on display – none more so than from Hobson himself who was splendidly dressed in a look he described as ‘Hendrix – the Vegas years’.
Hobson is renowned for never missing an opportunity for giving a speech, and this was no exception. Having been at my 40th during what I refer to as my, ahem, ‘interesting’ period, he made a rather brilliant observation about my radio career.
“In those dark days, when Giles would end up sitting in a room talking to himself in the early hours of the morning, would he have ever thought that he would carve a successful career out of…..you guessed it, sitting in a room talking to himself in the early hours of the morning!”
With close family and friends – including a number of surprise visitors from the UK – and rock legend Russ on DJ duties – my 50th was everything I had hoped it would be.
So here’s to the next 50. You have all been duly warned!
- TROLL TROUBLE: Giles Brown is used to insults flying his way, but troll his family and that’s a different matter - 8 Jun, 2019 @ 11:36
- I have never felt more proud of my Burlesque-dancing goddaughter, writes Giles Brown - 25 May, 2019 @ 09:30
- Summer on the Costa del Sol may have to be spent indoors to avoid beach hut blazes and killer bacteria, writes Giles Brown - 12 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- OSP is not just a political party, writes Giles Brown, who has slowly watched the decline of San Pedro - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 12:00
- Giles Brown thought he had left his brushes with the law back in the 1980s - 10 Mar, 2019 @ 10:31
- An idyllic cottage by the lake in Andalucia gave Giles Brown a bit more than he bargained for - 23 Feb, 2019 @ 09:30
- Loud and Clear: The Costa del Sol Boar Wars have begun says Giles Brown - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- PROTEST WITH NO BULL: Why new year is the perfect time to campaign for change on the Costa del Sol - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- Giles Brown is stuck in ‘festive no man’s land’ - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 09:00
- What NOT to do at your office Christmas party in Spain - 21 Dec, 2018 @ 12:00