Adam Williams, 30, who lives with family in Cadiz, was robbed and assaulted in the country during a holiday with his friends.
But while being treated in a hospital, the solider, who served as lance corporal in the Royal Gibraltar Regiment and has lived in Spain for 12 years, was allegedly drugged and chained to a hospital bed by Thai police.
The family say he has suffered a mental breakdown and has pleaded for help to bring him home urgently.
In an appeal the family said: “On Christmas Eve our son, a former soldier Adam Williams, was robbed of all his possessions, hospitalised and arrested, whilst holidaying in Thailand.
“Adam had been saving for a year, excited to go travelling upon finishing his 10 year career with the Army. With his savings, he ventured across Malta, Sicily, and Rome, before meeting up with his old high school friends in Thailand.
“Adam had a great time in Thailand however, with Christmas approaching, his friends decided to return to the UK and Australia. Adam stayed in Thailand on his own.
“It wasn’t long after Adam’s friends left that he was robbed of all his possessions and assaulted by persons unknown to him. During the incident, the police arrived.
“The assailants were never caught, but our son was taken by the police, whereby he was hospitalised for treatment of injuries and later moved to jail on remand – we don’t know why.
“Having been assaulted, robbed, arrested, and incarcerated in a foreign country, with no understanding of the language, Adam understandably suffered a mental breakdown.
“He has been on remand since New Year’s Eve drugged, and shackled to a hospital bed.
“We are desperate to get our son home. The Thailand Medical services have quoted £20,000 for a medical repatriation where he would be accompanied by a doctor. This expense is an overwhelming financial burden.
“We ask for you to contribute anything you can to help us bring Adam home.”
You can donate here: https://www.gofundme.com/bxrw3s-help-bring-adam-home
More to follow…
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22