Adam Williams, 30, who lives with family in Cadiz, was robbed and assaulted in the country during a holiday with his friends.
But while being treated in a hospital, the solider, who served as lance corporal in the Royal Gibraltar Regiment and has lived in Spain for 12 years, was allegedly drugged and chained to a hospital bed by Thai police.
The family say he has suffered a mental breakdown and has pleaded for help to bring him home urgently.
In an appeal the family said: “On Christmas Eve our son, a former soldier Adam Williams, was robbed of all his possessions, hospitalised and arrested, whilst holidaying in Thailand.
“Adam had been saving for a year, excited to go travelling upon finishing his 10 year career with the Army. With his savings, he ventured across Malta, Sicily, and Rome, before meeting up with his old high school friends in Thailand.
“Adam had a great time in Thailand however, with Christmas approaching, his friends decided to return to the UK and Australia. Adam stayed in Thailand on his own.
“It wasn’t long after Adam’s friends left that he was robbed of all his possessions and assaulted by persons unknown to him. During the incident, the police arrived.
“The assailants were never caught, but our son was taken by the police, whereby he was hospitalised for treatment of injuries and later moved to jail on remand – we don’t know why.
“Having been assaulted, robbed, arrested, and incarcerated in a foreign country, with no understanding of the language, Adam understandably suffered a mental breakdown.
“He has been on remand since New Year’s Eve drugged, and shackled to a hospital bed.
“We are desperate to get our son home. The Thailand Medical services have quoted £20,000 for a medical repatriation where he would be accompanied by a doctor. This expense is an overwhelming financial burden.
“We ask for you to contribute anything you can to help us bring Adam home.”
You can donate here: https://www.gofundme.com/bxrw3s-help-bring-adam-home
More to follow…
- British boy, 5, who drowned near Spain’s Costa del Sol was visiting expat granddad - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 13:48
- REVEALED: Spain to have ‘warmer than average’ summer with Costa del Sol among hottest areas - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 13:26
- ‘WE’RE BEING POISONED’: Video of ship billowing black fumes ‘onto people’s homes’ outrages Gibraltar residents - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 11:43
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38