A NEW poll has shown a third of Spanish women have felt sexually violated at least once.
It comes after survey site, Metroscopia, exposed that 32% of women have experienced this on more than one occasion in their life.
The data also revealed how young women between the ages of 18-34 felt particularly harassed when they had joined university or started a new job.
A staggering 80% of female and male respondents also believe Spain is a predominantly sexist society.
These figures are particularly crucial in the run-up to Spain’s first nationwide women’s strike, taking place on International Women’s Day on Thursday.
In a bid to fight gender inequality and discrimination, women across Spain will not only take part in public protests but will also abandon their usual household tasks, such as cooking, cleaning and childcare.
The poll also exposed that one out of every four women had been groped or had been subjected to attempted gropes and 56% feel that there is a severe lack of effort to prevent sexual harassment.
However, 79% now think sexual harassment is being more openly discussed thanks to recent increased media exposure, following the #MeToo movement.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03