Warnings have been issued for the Man O’war jellyfish, which have been spotted by beachgoers in Malaga and Marbella.
Its tentacles can grow to be more than 30 metres long and can give a painful sting causing whip-like red welts.
If a human comes into contact with a high number of tentacles, particularly around the torso, it can cause death, especially in children.
Hundreds of the toxic jellyfish have washed up in Cadiz and Huelva provinces after being blown in by strong winds from the mid-Atlantic Ocean.
A beach in Lepe, Huelva, was closed after more than 200 appeared.
An official from the Aula del Mar marine museum in Malaga said: “We urge people not to touch the animals as they can still sting when stranded or dead, and the stings can be extremely severe.
“The tentacles can become detached and these are also still capable of stinging.
“Animals and children are particularly at risk.”
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29