FAMILIES have taken to living in commercial properties in Barcelona following the price of rent skyrocketing.
Last year alone the average rent in the Catalonian capital increased 10% to €900, while 30,000 non-residential premises remained unoccupied across the province.
Official figures show that 6,000 of these are in Barcelona, although the actual figure is believed to be closer to 10,000.
A debate is now being raised about whether these properties should be turned into housing to help alleviate the crisis.
“The City does not oppose turning former commercial space into housing, as long as they have occupancy licenses and it does not affect retail trade,” said Barcelona city sources.
One family who purchased a commercial space in the Sant Marti district six months ago said they had considered leaving the city due to the cost of rent.
Living with her husband and daughter, Cristina* told El Pais: “It’s harder to register on the municipal census, plus the owner cannot rent it out as housing, which makes it harder to prove that you have the right to send your kids to the neighborhood school or use the local health center.”
Of the 78,033 commercial properties in Barcelona, 77.2% are in use, it is believed 3,106 are being used as living quarters despite having no occupancy licenses.
- LOCA FOR LOCAL: Fantastic wines can be found in Malaga and Andalucia - 27 May, 2018 @ 11:19
- King of Reggaeton J Balvin coming to Spain’s Costa del Sol - 19 May, 2018 @ 09:39
- More than 7.5 TONNES of hashish seized after Manilva-Estepona smuggling operation busted - 18 May, 2018 @ 15:40
- Spanish student auctioning her virginity has already been offered €250k - 18 May, 2018 @ 14:42
- COMPETITION ALERT: Win return flights to UK with Jet2 - 17 May, 2018 @ 16:18
- Come fly with me – new routes launched from UK to Spain - 16 May, 2018 @ 16:10
- Six towns on the Costa del Sol set to get a boost from European grants - 16 May, 2018 @ 15:35
- Spanish museum set to show controversial exhibition that was cancelled in New York following protests - 13 May, 2018 @ 15:00
- WINE TIME: Cocktails to enjoy in the sunshine (finally!) - 12 May, 2018 @ 14:14
- New TV series based on Spanish Civil War whips up Twitter storm - 12 May, 2018 @ 14:00