AUSTRALIAN world champions Mat Belcher and Will Ryan received the highest accolade in the 49th Trofeo Princesa Sofia Iberostar sailing contest.
The nautical pair took home the Princesa Sofia Trophy, awarded to the boat with the greatest overall points tally after ten races.
The competition is significant not only because it attracts 1200 sailors from 60 different countries but because it is the first International Olympic classified event of the year.
A good competition can see crews jumping to the top of selection for their respective nations for Tokyo 2020.
“It is really special to win the overall, this is a special event to me having first come here in 2001 and so it is a great credit to the place, here, and the organisers to have so many boats her,” Belcher told the press.
“It is fantastic. We focus on what we need to do but it really is special to win the overall trophy and it sets high expectations for the season ahead – we love this event.”
It was a good few days for the Aussies with Matthew Wearn and his crew finishing also first in the Laser Standard category.
Japanese pair Ai Kondo Yoshida and Miho Yoshioka took home the biggest women’s prize, triumphing in the 470 category.
The Brits also didn’t leave Mallorca empty handed with Giles Scott and his crew winning in the Finn category.
Encouragingly, British teams also finished second in the Nacra 17, Laser Radial and 49er events.
- Activists propose daily tax for Balearic cruise ship passengers - 26 May, 2018 @ 21:02
- Branson embraces Balearic life while Necker Island is rebuilt - 26 May, 2018 @ 18:44
- Chinese film industry eyes up purchase of Spanish locations - 26 May, 2018 @ 16:44
- Podemos leader faces confidence vote after ‘luxury’ home purchase - 26 May, 2018 @ 12:13
- Stunning Kensington pine walk property goes on the market in Pollensa - 25 May, 2018 @ 17:13
- Magaluf hit-and-run Brit is younger sister of expat drug lord - 25 May, 2018 @ 13:13
- Balearic president to meet with airlines to safeguard resident discounts - 25 May, 2018 @ 11:19
- Airport group goes public with concerns over transporting drunk passengers - 24 May, 2018 @ 16:44
- British tourists warned over balcony antics in new safety video - 24 May, 2018 @ 14:37
- British bar managed arrested over the death of Northern Irish tourist in Magaluf - 24 May, 2018 @ 12:33