The wall in Ferrol de Coruña, Galicia, has received the graffiti treatment in the style of the British artist in a space that has been reserved for him for years.
The piece shows two Guardia Civil officers kissing and appears to have been signed off by the world famous enigma, whose work sells for millions of euros at auction.
It comes after the Meninas de Canido initiative, sponsored by Estrella beer, was launched several years ago, pleading for Banksy to use their walls for a new piece.
The spot, by number 23 on calle Muiño de Vento, was reserved for the British artist as part of a regeneration plan for the neighbourhood which began eight years ago.
Last September 35,000 people attended the eighth edition of its urban art festival.
A spokesman said: “We do not know if the work which has appeared in the reserved space is original or not.”
If confirmed by Banksy, it would be the first of its kind in Spain, after one found in San Sebastian was erased after not getting confirmation of its authorship.
— Guardia Civil (@guardiacivil) April 18, 2018
Guardia Civil seemed pleased to be part of the potential first Banksy in Spain.
“Well it would be nice to be the protagonists of the first Banksy in Spain, don’t you think?”, it Tweeted to its 1.2 million followers.
- Woody Allen to film new project across Spain after securing financing from Spanish company despite sexual abuse allegations which saw him dumped by Amazon - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 11:28
- WATCH: Two elderly women caught on camera stealing outdoor furniture from British expat’s bar in Mallorca as police drive by - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:46
- FREAK FEBRUARY: ‘Anti-cyclone’ scorcher to see temperatures soar to 28C in Spain’s Andalucia this weekend - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:06
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10