The wall in Ferrol de Coruña, Galicia, has received the graffiti treatment in the style of the British artist in a space that has been reserved for him for years.
The piece shows two Guardia Civil officers kissing and appears to have been signed off by the world famous enigma, whose work sells for millions of euros at auction.
It comes after the Meninas de Canido initiative, sponsored by Estrella beer, was launched several years ago, pleading for Banksy to use their walls for a new piece.
The spot, by number 23 on calle Muiño de Vento, was reserved for the British artist as part of a regeneration plan for the neighbourhood which began eight years ago.
Last September 35,000 people attended the eighth edition of its urban art festival.
A spokesman said: “We do not know if the work which has appeared in the reserved space is original or not.”
If confirmed by Banksy, it would be the first of its kind in Spain, after one found in San Sebastian was erased after not getting confirmation of its authorship.
— Guardia Civil (@guardiacivil) April 18, 2018
Guardia Civil seemed pleased to be part of the potential first Banksy in Spain.
“Well it would be nice to be the protagonists of the first Banksy in Spain, don’t you think?”, it Tweeted to its 1.2 million followers.
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19