The wall in Ferrol de Coruña, Galicia, has received the graffiti treatment in the style of the British artist in a space that has been reserved for him for years.
The piece shows two Guardia Civil officers kissing and appears to have been signed off by the world famous enigma, whose work sells for millions of euros at auction.
It comes after the Meninas de Canido initiative, sponsored by Estrella beer, was launched several years ago, pleading for Banksy to use their walls for a new piece.
The spot, by number 23 on calle Muiño de Vento, was reserved for the British artist as part of a regeneration plan for the neighbourhood which began eight years ago.
Last September 35,000 people attended the eighth edition of its urban art festival.
A spokesman said: “We do not know if the work which has appeared in the reserved space is original or not.”
If confirmed by Banksy, it would be the first of its kind in Spain, after one found in San Sebastian was erased after not getting confirmation of its authorship.
— Guardia Civil (@guardiacivil) April 18, 2018
Guardia Civil seemed pleased to be part of the potential first Banksy in Spain.
“Well it would be nice to be the protagonists of the first Banksy in Spain, don’t you think?”, it Tweeted to its 1.2 million followers.
- Expats rally around British pensioner made homeless on Spain’s Costa del Sol as alleged ‘squatter tenants’ speak out - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 20:32
- British expats and locals FUMING as celebrity chef Dani Garcia’s chiringuito gets go ahead on protected land in southern Spain - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 12:16
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09