A BRITISH paedophile who absconded to Spain has been spared jail by a judge in the UK after ‘turning his life around’.
lan Grundy, 59, was handed a 14-month suspended prison sentence when he appeared at Bradford Crown Court this week.
Grundy had been sent back to the UK earlier this year after a European arrest warrant was issued for him to face charges dating back to 2015.
He pleaded guilty to three charges of making indecent photographs and movies, and one charge of failing to notify police of a change of address.
According to the Telegraph & Argus, Prosecutor Paul Nicholson told the court that a computer tower was seized from an address in Bradford where Grundy had been living on June 26, 2015.
Police found 87 indecent images and two indecent videos, four of which were of the highest category of seriousness.
He was arrested and gave no comment, but when police returned to the address a few weeks later, his mother answered.
Nicholson said: “She said he had not lived at the address since he had been arrested.
“It turned out that he had taken himself abroad and gone to Spain.”
Grundy’s lawyer Tom Rushbrooke said he had been at a particularly low point at the time of the first offences, having problems with alcohol.
He added: “While he was in Spain he had no access to computers at all.”
Judge Jonathan Durham Hall QC warned Grundy there was a victim behind every one of the images he made, which he described as ‘disgraceful material’.
He added: “The running away to Spain, on the one hand was reprehensible, but on the other hand, it seems you have used that time to resolve many issues.”
Grundy was also ordered to carry out 250 hours of unpaid work and complete the sexual offenders programme he missed out on previously.
He was also made subject to a sexual offences prevention order and a notification order, both for seven years.
- WATCH: Two elderly women caught on camera stealing outdoor furniture from British expat’s bar in Mallorca as police drive by - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:46
- FREAK FEBRUARY: ‘Anti-cyclone’ scorcher to see temperatures soar to 28C in Spain’s Andalucia this weekend - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:06
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06