The importance of the maritime trade is obvious at the Ethnographic Museum, which showcases the ancient craft of boat making and the cornucopia of marine life living off this golden coast.
Museum guide Mariano Jobreas, who moved to the town from Madrid, shows me a wall displaying dozens of complicated knots.
“To become a fisherman you have to learn to tie every single one of these. You have to be prepared for all eventualities out at sea,” he says gravely.
The models of fishing boats still in use look so real, he jestingly assures me that the working vessels are much bigger.
On a trip to the port to see if I can spot any of them in action, I bump into Miguel Ferrer Gonzalez.
“I came here because Estepona is more of a family town,” he beams, explaining that he spends his days sailing around in search of dolphins.
It sounds like money for old rope as dolphins aren’t hard to find – beach goers often spot shoals of them frolicking offshore.
“It’s not an office job, and if you like the sea, this is the job for you,” agrees Miguel.
If you’d like a turn at the helm yourself, the Real Club Nautico houses a sailing and kayak school with a dry dock for sailboats and a nautically-themed restaurant for hungry sailors returning home from the sea.
Estepona is still home to hundreds of working fishing families whose ancestors have been casting their nets here for centuries.
Now this great maritime tradition is continued by their offspring who continue to brave the elements to this day to put fresh fish on local dining tables.
- Out of this world: ‘Green Spaceship’ to dock in Madrid - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:24
- After a five-year period of sustained growth, there is a change in the air in Marbella, reports Diana Morales Properties - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:14
- Rule-breaking Madrid design firm gives grunge office block some colour therapy - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 18:52
- The latest mega-development for Gibraltar has all the signs of being a big hit with investors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:43
- Madrid architects take centre stage with their dramatic conversion of a historic playhouse - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:25
- BBQ King: Ingenious pellet stove barbecues are a dream come true for cooking outdoors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:09
- Famous British businessman and Premier League football star flock to new Benahavis development - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:08
- Barcelona Unesco treasure hosts Scottish cancer charity’s first care centre on the continent - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:47
- Amazing conversion: how to bring a beautiful old abandoned 18th century townhouse back to life - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:40
- 5 Ideas of Having Fun in Internet - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 09:23