John Parker, 73, was ‘forced’ to pay €77 by a fake taxi driver who had previously offered the trip for €6.
Parker was approached while standing at the Miraflores bus stop with his wife in Mijas Costa, waiting to go to La Cañada shopping centre, near Marbella.
A Spanish man purporting to be sent from the bus company pulled up in a brown Fiat and told the couple – who were celebrating their 50th anniversary – that all buses had been cancelled.
He said he was happy to take them to the shopping centre for the same price as the bus.
“The guy had a badge and seemed pretty official so we agreed,” Parker told the Olive Press.
But when they arrived and Parker’s wife first left the car, the driver allegedly locked the doors and parallel parked next to another car so Parker couldn’t get out.
“He just kept demanding €77 and became very aggressive,” he added.
“We thought best to just pay him as we were only here for a week and didn’t want it to be ruined.
“We now just want to warn expats and other holidaymakers to avoid scams like these.”
Parker, who is disabled, reported the incident to staff at his hotel, who have now informed police.
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29