John Parker, 73, was ‘forced’ to pay €77 by a fake taxi driver who had previously offered the trip for €6.
Parker was approached while standing at the Miraflores bus stop with his wife in Mijas Costa, waiting to go to La Cañada shopping centre, near Marbella.
A Spanish man purporting to be sent from the bus company pulled up in a brown Fiat and told the couple – who were celebrating their 50th anniversary – that all buses had been cancelled.
He said he was happy to take them to the shopping centre for the same price as the bus.
“The guy had a badge and seemed pretty official so we agreed,” Parker told the Olive Press.
But when they arrived and Parker’s wife first left the car, the driver allegedly locked the doors and parallel parked next to another car so Parker couldn’t get out.
“He just kept demanding €77 and became very aggressive,” he added.
“We thought best to just pay him as we were only here for a week and didn’t want it to be ruined.
“We now just want to warn expats and other holidaymakers to avoid scams like these.”
Parker, who is disabled, reported the incident to staff at his hotel, who have now informed police.
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22