SPAIN has announced the country has stopped the sale of bombs to Saudi Arabia.
It comes as concerns are growing over the use of laser-guided bombs in the conflict in Yemen, the Spanish Defence Ministry stated on Tuesday.
Cadena Ser reported the government had started the process of cancelling a contract signed between Mariano Rajoy’s former government and the Gulf Arab state in 2015.
The agreement included the sale of 400 laser-precision bombs.
“We confirm the news,” a Defence Ministry spokeswoman said but declined to give any further details.
It comes after Pedro Sanchez’s new socialist government vowed to review the sale of arms to Saudi Arabia on August 16.
He also confirmed that Spain would pay back the €9.2 million it had already paid for arms materials.
It is believed the bombs would have been used in Yemen – the heart of a war which has killed more than 10,000 people, according to the United Nations.
However the ministry said in August it had never sold the arms with the intention of using them against a civilian population and will review any possible sales that have not been closed and could be involved in attacks on civilians.