And the Socialist party is likely to hold on to power in Andalucia when the region goes to the polls in December.
The challenge to the opposition parties has been set, after Junta boss Susana Diaz called a snap election for the region on December 2.
She insisted the decision to bring forward the election by many months was to battle the ‘instability’ around the rest of Spain.
“My land does not deserve the instability we are seeing in the rest of Spain,” insisted the PSOE leader.
The move will be seen by many as an attempt to use the momentum created when Socialist Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez took over in June following a no confidence vote in the former PP government.
Diaz insisted that early elections will give a clear indication of the public mood, after the PSOE minority government – which only has 84 out of 350 seats in congress – took power in Madrid.
Andalucia has always been a thermometer for national attitudes.
It is the country’s most populous region, and if the PSOE party can improve on 2015’s slim win of 47 of the total 109 seats, it will be a good sign for Sanchez in Madrid.
Africa’s migrants are a political headache for Sanchez, as he looks to maintain the support from left-wing base, while also keeping check on the rise of Nationalism, perpetuated by the populist Vox party, who can easily seize on the migrants issue.
In 1998, the number of foreigners in Spain made up 1.6% of the total population and by 2016 this had risen to 12.2%.
- WATCH: Spain’s Women’s World Cup dreams end as two penalties hand USA 2-1 victory in France - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 12:32
- This is the ONLY beach in Spain included in the world top 10 - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 11:15
- Two men arrested over sexual assault of young woman who was enjoying Costa del Sol San Juan celebrations - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 08:59
- Costa del Sol to see 10% increase in employment this summer compared to 2018 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 14:09
- Bin torching epidemic continues in Spain’s Mallorca as police arrest ANOTHER arsonist while damage totals €370,000 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 13:07
- ‘Heartbroken’ family pay tribute to Irish dad stabbed to death with broken bottles in Costa del Sol pub - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 12:02
- Spanish golfers Garcia and Rahm joined by wealth of British stars at Andalucia Masters on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 10:30
- RING ROADS AND RUINS: Junta de Andalucia funding motorways, flamenco and sewage in NEW budgets - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 10:00
- OPINION: The news that a British boy’s death in Mallorca ‘could have been prevented’ is both shocking and sad - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- British expat arrested after Irishman stabbed to death ‘while urinating’ in pub on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 13:53