HALF of Spain’s bestselling ‘extra virgin’ olive oil brands are falsely labelled, according to a new study by Spain’s Consumers and Users Organisation (OCU).
The consumer group found that out of 41 brands of olive oil tested, only 21 qualify for the premium ‘extra virgin’ classification, the rest belonging to the lesser ‘virgin’ category.
Taste, quality and care of the fruit, and acidity, were among the qualities of the oils that were tested by OCU in their independent laboratories.
Among the 20 charlatan drizzles named and shamed by OCU were Lidl’s Olisone at €4.92 a litre and Aldi’s Olearia De Olivar at €3.99 a litre, which were both deemed ‘poor quality’.
“No physicochemical problems have been detected, the only problem was in the taste test, which is an unreliable method,” said Primitivo Fernández, the director of the National Association of Edible Oils Bottlers and Refiners (Anierac).
Oleoestepa’s D.O.P.-certified oil came top in the study at €5.34 a litre, while Carrefour’s own extra virgin was rated second-best at a much more modest €3.63 a litre.
OCU gave the third place to the Hacendado extra virgin oil at €4.89 a litre, which is available in Mercadona supermarkets.
These three oils were the only to be rated 5/5 on the OCU’s taste test, while a further 18 still managed to pass the test by achieving three or four out of five.
The remaining 20 ‘extra virgin oils’ were deemed only to be ‘virgin’ after they all scored a meagre 2/5 on the taste test.
Manufacturers can perform their own oil analysis if they disagree with the OCU’s findings, as regulated under Royal Decree 538/2015, which was updated in 2015.
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59
- CATALUNYA CRISIS: ‘I am a political prisoner’ says Catalan leader as 12 separatists go on trial in Spain - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 20:48
- ‘I MISS MY BROTHER’: Sister of British expat filmmaker in Spain speaks out after balcony horror plunge puts him in coma - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 18:42
- Spain tourism chiefs call for alcohol ban in airports and say British police ‘have power’ to stop boozing on flights - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:12
- Spain likely to call snap general election as Pedro Sanchez fails to get budget past Parliament - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17