A TORNADO ravaged Menorca yesterday, leaving 38,000 people without power, as Spain saw temperatures plummet by 10°C.
Over 50 trees and poles collapsed on the island, leaving almost all residents without power for at least 24 hours.
At least 70 portable electricity generation units have been shipped in from Barcleona and Valencia to deal with the chaos caused by yet more bad weather for the Balearics, as the islands are still recovering from the floods, which killed 13 people.
Spain’s freak weather has also led to the disappearance of two hikers in the Pyrenees and Asturias, as the first snow of the year fell over the weekend, including in Andalucia.
An Arctic mass of wind entered the peninsula on Friday and the resultant snow has also caused huge disruptions to trains, as well as power outages in the north of the country.
Andalucia got its first taste of winter on Sunday as snow fell in the Sierra Bermeja area, with the drastically reduced temperatures expected to last until Wednesday.
The Balearic Islands remain on yellow alert, as do Almeria and Granada, while AEMET, Spain’s weather agency has issued an orange warning to parts of northeastern Spain.
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59
- CATALUNYA CRISIS: ‘I am a political prisoner’ says Catalan leader as 12 separatists go on trial in Spain - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 20:48
- ‘I MISS MY BROTHER’: Sister of British expat filmmaker in Spain speaks out after balcony horror plunge puts him in coma - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 18:42