A TORNADO ravaged Menorca yesterday, leaving 38,000 people without power, as Spain saw temperatures plummet by 10°C.
Over 50 trees and poles collapsed on the island, leaving almost all residents without power for at least 24 hours.
At least 70 portable electricity generation units have been shipped in from Barcleona and Valencia to deal with the chaos caused by yet more bad weather for the Balearics, as the islands are still recovering from the floods, which killed 13 people.
Spain’s freak weather has also led to the disappearance of two hikers in the Pyrenees and Asturias, as the first snow of the year fell over the weekend, including in Andalucia.
An Arctic mass of wind entered the peninsula on Friday and the resultant snow has also caused huge disruptions to trains, as well as power outages in the north of the country.
Andalucia got its first taste of winter on Sunday as snow fell in the Sierra Bermeja area, with the drastically reduced temperatures expected to last until Wednesday.
The Balearic Islands remain on yellow alert, as do Almeria and Granada, while AEMET, Spain’s weather agency has issued an orange warning to parts of northeastern Spain.
- ‘Frightening’ moment on Thomas Cook flight to Spain as squishy cat toy explodes in British seven-year-old’s face - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 16:10
- Spain could snatch €1 billion Royal Navy ship contract ahead of British firms despite wargames over Gibraltar - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 12:40
- Gibraltar to install 17 speed bumps on Rock to protect ‘vulnerable’ baby monkeys from drivers - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 13:44
- Number of Brits on Costa del Sol increases for first time since before Brexit - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:14
- Man in Spain arrested over double knife attack at Ryanair check-in desk that saw woman stabbed in ear - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:33
- Tourism companies in Spain outraged at being handed limits on daily beach visitors with some as low as 250 per day - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 16:05
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- PIGEON PILL: Pesky birds in Spain’s Cadiz to be slipped contraceptives in food to control numbers - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- Climate change activists in Spain joined by those in UK as hundreds arrested - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40