A TORNADO ravaged Menorca yesterday, leaving 38,000 people without power, as Spain saw temperatures plummet by 10°C.
Over 50 trees and poles collapsed on the island, leaving almost all residents without power for at least 24 hours.
At least 70 portable electricity generation units have been shipped in from Barcleona and Valencia to deal with the chaos caused by yet more bad weather for the Balearics, as the islands are still recovering from the floods, which killed 13 people.
Spain’s freak weather has also led to the disappearance of two hikers in the Pyrenees and Asturias, as the first snow of the year fell over the weekend, including in Andalucia.
An Arctic mass of wind entered the peninsula on Friday and the resultant snow has also caused huge disruptions to trains, as well as power outages in the north of the country.
Andalucia got its first taste of winter on Sunday as snow fell in the Sierra Bermeja area, with the drastically reduced temperatures expected to last until Wednesday.
The Balearic Islands remain on yellow alert, as do Almeria and Granada, while AEMET, Spain’s weather agency has issued an orange warning to parts of northeastern Spain.
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- PIGEON PILL: Pesky birds in Spain’s Cadiz to be slipped contraceptives in food to control numbers - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- Climate change activists in Spain joined by those in UK as hundreds arrested - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40
- Spain’s Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol to be hit by FIVE DAYS of rain, flash floods and strong winds - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- NEW 25,000 square metre park on Costa del Sol includes slides, wildlife area and sports facilities - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:32
- ‘HE’S A GOOD KID’: Mum of jihadi suspect accused of planning a ‘massacre’ during Sevilla’s Semana Santa speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:10
- BREAKING: British surfer dies off coast of Gibraltar - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:49
- Two arrested in Spain’s Andalucia over violent drug deaths after bodies dumped down well and car burnt out - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15