A hiker who spotted the flag told Marbella24horas that the paint job amounts to nothing more than ‘vandalism’.
The reader told the news website it paints a ‘bad image’ of the Costa del Sol town because it is a place for ‘many nationalities’, not just one.
He told Marbella24horas: “I love to walk through the great mountain that we have in our territory and I want to denounce an act of vandalism that has altered the landscape…
“I climbed the peak of La Concha, as I have many times, and what was my surprise to find a very large painted (the photo makes it seem smaller) Russian flag and RUS letters, right at the top.”
The flag was painted near to the bench that was carried by firefighters on behalf of the Butterfly Skin charity.
The reader added: “The mountaineer’s philosophy is to leave the mountain just as we found it, so any alteration of the territory is always in bad taste. There should not be any flag. Please ask for dissemination of this disgusting act.
“Marbella differs from all other cities precisely because many people from different countries, cultures, races, etc. coexist and we have to respect each other and precisely the mountain serves to unite people “.
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27